When is comes to sewing, everyone makes mistakes.
Some are easy to fix, others are harder. The great thing about sewing is that you can for the most part fix them.
Unfortunately there is almost an infinite amount of issues that can arise for any project. You always have the basic fix it tip for all projects, patience and a great seam ripper. But for this blog I'm going to take a specific flawed purse and fix it.
Here is my Captivating Clutch made from Doctor Who Tardis fabric.
When I made this, I was in a bit of a rush to finish and move onto another project. I didn't label my pieces or pay enough attention to cutting the pattern out properly.
First mistake, I cut the flap upside down. Inside the flap is correct, since when you open it, it is standing, but closed, it becomes upside down. After you are finished, this is a hard mistake to fix. You can either start over, which is what this requires, or you can use a band-aid solution. Re-cut the flap correcting the nap of the fabric, then applique it overtop, making it look like a design feature, rather then a flaw.
Here you can see the new flap, I ironed the top straight edge under 1 cm, then top stitched it down, and trimmed the flap to the size I wanted before doing a zigzag stitch in black around the edge. I did play with a decorative stitch first, but it didn't go well and I didn't like it.
This is also a great fix for stains or holes in the fabric that need to be covered. You can make it a large applique or many small ones scattered over the project to add an artistic flare and make it look purposeful, rather then a patch fix.
Here you will see the top seam has been covered by a strip of black bias tape. Originally the bottomed was supposed to be sewn from the wrong sides and then turned. I was having troubles with this and eventually cut of the bottom 1cm and placed a strip of bias tape there instead. This worked great, matched my purse and blended in well. This is a great fix for many edge mistakes and could also be used for the first mistake, covering the edges of the top flap to hide the seam of the applique fabric instead of a thick zig zag seam.
However, it changed the dimensions on my clutch that I didn't account for, bringing me to my next mistake.
The flaps of this purse are measured up from the bottom which was now a bit shorter then intended, creating a small wrinkle in the corner. I left the thread so it is easier to tell where the mistake is. This isn't very visible and to fix the seams need to be ripped open. Be patient and rip the stitches as gently as possible. Since it is sewn into the edge of the back flap, you have to push it left or right inside the seam and then re-top stitch it once it is in the correct position.
And here are my nice new wrinkle free corners. You can see all the ripped threads from my last seam. They just need to be pulled out. Sometimes I use tape to do this.
Still not perfect but much better then before and of course next time I make this purse there will be no mistakes, since I have learned so much from making this one. Next time I am going to label my pieces better and I have made notes on my pattern concerning the nap of the fabric and how it should be cut. Also I wasn't as patient with this project as I should have been. Straighter edging will also go a long way to making this purse look more professional.
All finished, I could do a bit more to tidy this purse up, however I am much happier with it now then I was before and will probably leave it as is.
Thanks for reading and happy sewing!